The Fourth of July is coming up and I’m always looking for fashion inspiration for the holiday. One of my favorite looks for the fourth is when nautical meets patriotic. Blue and white stripes are definitely popular this season and you don’t have to go sailing to pull off the nautical look. To be more patriotic, throw in a pop of red and voila! You have a themed outfit appropriate for celebrating Independence Day. Read on for some tips on creating your own Fourth of July inspired nautical look.
1. Begin your outfit with a blue and white striped piece that you love. I chose to wear a Michael Kors shirt I scored at T.J. Maxx a while back. The gold zippers on the shoulders are perfect for adding cute details. Finding a piece you love, whether it be a skirt or blazer, will help inspire the rest of your outfit and keep true to your own style.
2. Decide if you want to go casual or dress with the look. I chose to go casual with jeans and white sneakers, but you can always vary it to meet your weather and location needs. Wedges or heels would pair great with a skirt or white jeans. If you still want to keep it casual but find jeans and sneakers too hot, sandals and shorts would be perfect to beat the summer heat!
3. Keep the jewelry simple. With as much sparkle as you’ll be getting that day there’s no need to overdo it! Brassy or gold inspired jewelry will pair perfectly with your look. I was able to find an anchor and wheel which both make adorable nautical themed jewelry. The anchor necklace was a great detail at Forever 21, and the anchor bracelet was a special find at a boutique in Port Townsend, Washington. I love finding little mementoes like this to remind me of places I’ve traveled to!
4. Bring a lightweight sweater or jacket to throw on. For the cool evening while you are watching the fireworks, you’ll want something to wear that doesn’t overpower the rest of your adorable outfit. Stick with a white or navy coat. A blazer would be perfect for this and will add some sophistication too!
5. Last but not least, throw in a pop of red. The nautical look can always be achieved without red, but to work together with the Fourth of July you will need it! An accessory such a purse is great for bringing out that pop of color, or you can always get the color with some red lips too. If you’re like me, there’s no problem in choosing both!
Hopefully I’ve helped inspire you for your own Fourth of July nautical look. Have an awesome time looking fabulous and celebrating with your friends and family. Happy Independence day!
I love nautical stripes paired with a bright red lip…it’s a totally classic color pairing.
the fashionable esquire
Hi Netty! Thank you so much for your kind words. I love the classiness of nautical looks and red lips 🙂
Molly! You are just the cutest! I am totally obsessing over that red bag!!
Thank you Claire! I was glad to have scored an awesome deal on it!
Your lip color and your bag totally match! It’s so cute! 😉
Angel from With Love Lily Rose
Do you ever match your lip and bag color?! Thanks for stopping by 🙂