It’s Tip Tuesday again! I want to share with you some tips today on a very popular look – mixed prints. When I first heard of mixing prints I was immediately against the idea. I saw a lot of outfits that looked like somebody got dressed in the dark and forgot that those prints didn’t match. OK, not really, but that’s how I felt! I would have been the first one to tell you, “prints should be separate and in no way should they ever be paired together!” That is until I saw it done right and realized how fun it is to mix up an outfit that way! To help encourage you to try this fun style and avoid looking like a fashion disaster, I’m sharing five tips to get you started.
1. Begin with black and white. When mixing prints it is important to match color. If you are not feeling adventurous, black and white prints will definitely be a great place to start. For fun, add a bright solid accessory to the mix!
2. Mix two different prints at a time. Prints can be busy looking. To avoid looking like you have too much going on, stick with two prints that pair well together. Stripes and florals are always great options, because stripes are basically a neutral! 😉
3. Remember that opposites attract. At least one of the prints should be simple if you already have one that’s complex. Also, if one of your patterns is large or spread out, keep the other pattern small and condensed. This will create some very appealing contrast to your outfit.
4. Use accessories as one of your prints. Adding a mixed print scarf, pair of shoes, belt or bag is a fun option if you’re not ready to commit to the top and bottom being mix-and-matched. For example, a polka dot shirt would be fun to add a leopard print belt or shoes to the mix.
5. My last tip is have fun with it! Play around with different prints and look for things that catch your eye. If it doesn’t look right to you, use my tips of starting small until you feel good about it. If you are liking what you see, be bold and give it a try!
I hope you have enjoyed my tips on mixing prints! Please comment below and share a fun way that you have learned to mix prints!
Earrings – Kendra Scott from Rocksbox (use code stylemissmollyxoxo to get your first month free) |Purse -Milly from T.J.Maxx | Shorts – Lucid Pink from T.J.Maxx | Shirt – Maurices | Shoes – Kohls | Necklace – Forever 21