One of my favorite things about fashion is that it varies from one fashionista to another. Today I’m collaborating with one of my favorite boss ladies, Erica, from Coming Up Roses, to show you two different looks that inspire inner confidence. Erica chose her power-piece to be this darling hot pink romper. For a completely different point of view, I chose this little black dress from HER. Boutique. Immediately you can see a contrast of color and style between our two outfits, but guess what?! I love them BOTH and the important part is how we each feel while wearing it.
What makes it a power-piece?
There are three key things I look for when picking out an outfit that will always give me the confidence I’m going for. A power-piece must meet these three standards first. I call these standards the Three F’s.
- Does it fit? Ladies, you know what I’m talking about when I say, “Fit can make or break an outfit.” Get it tailored if you need to, but fit should always be one of your priorities when trying on clothing. It’s hard to feel confidence in something that simply does not fit you correctly!
- Is it flattering? Just because it fits doesn’t always make it flattering. Sometimes it fits you in all the right places, but the shape or the color happen to be completely wrong for you. A go-to confidence piece will not only flatter your figure, but also flatter your face by helping you look good and feel good. For me, that means sticking with a figure flattering midi dress and sticking with black and a pop of color! How can you resist that Kate Spade turquoise purse?
- Does it make you feel fabulous? One of my main rules in fashion is: “If you don’t love it, don’t wear it!” Wearing what you love is certainly one of the most important aspects of a piece that inspires confidence. Dresses take up over half my closet so it’s no surprise that a dress will be my power-piece. When I think of a go-to piece it has to be timeless as much as it effortless. I love LBD’s because they can easily thrown on in a pinch and styled easily with minimal accessories.
Confidence Boosting Affirmations:
Let’s remember where confidence truly starts – from the inside! Regardless of what you’re wearing, you’re going to want to face the day with a positive attitude ready to take on anything. One of my favorite ways to do this is through daily morning affirmations. Give yourself a little pep-talk before you walk out the door by saying one or all of these out loud:
- I am unique and one of a kind.
- I believe in myself and my abilities.
- I am loved by my dear friends and family.
- I am beautiful because of my kind heart.
- I am strong enough to handle anything that comes my way.
- I am driven and persistent to continue even when it’s hard.
- I can do anything I set my mind to.
- I am passionate enough to pursue what I love.
- The possibilites of what I am capable of are endless.
- I am ready to face the day in confidence!
I’d love to hear, what’s your go-to outfit for boosting your confidence!
Don’t forget to check out Eric’s confidence boosting piece and tips over at Coming Up Roses. If you love my inspirational posts and fashion posts, I’m sure you’ll love Erica as much as I do. She has an amazing heart, GREAT sense of style, and is an overall complete #GIRLBOSS! Also, follow her on Instagram for some additional daily inspiration!
Dress: HER. Boutique LBD (only $42) Use code MISSMOLLY20 to 20% off your entire order!
Bag: Kate Spade (similar) // Heels: Steve Madden // Bracelet: Nikki Blake’s Jewelry
Photo Credit // S. Weissbach Photography
WOW girl! You are stunning! An outfit like that will definitely boost your inner confidence! You look amazing!
Thank you for being so sweet! I hope you find an outfit equally as confidence boosting!
Not only am I loving this look (that dress can be worn so many ways – totally my kind of piece) but I’m loving the message behind your post! Confidence is key and it’s hard to learn, but wearing what you love is definitely part of it! Such a great post!
Stephanie | drunkonvogue.com
Thank you Stephanie! You made me smile! I’m so glad you too understand the importance of confidence. I feel like you rock it so well! Keep smiling!
Love the strappy backed dress! I need one!
Thank you! So glad I got this one. It’s perfect because it hides the bra strap too! Yay!
I enjoyed reading your positive affirmations 🙂 Are words of affirmation one of your top love languages?
Thank you for saying that! And yes girl! You nailed it! 🙂 is it yours too?
My go-to outfit/style to boost my confidence is basically any one of my rompers. I love that they are comfortable and so chic and on trend.
Iesha Thompson aka Lesh
That’s amazing! I love rompers! I wish I could wear rompers and feel confident, but I have a crazy long torso and legs so they never seem to fit right! That’s what I love about Erica’s piece. She rocks it!
Love the dress – especially the back! You look great!
Thank you! The back of this dress is definitely a party! YES please!
Beautiful! I love that bag — adds just the right amount of color to your look! xo, sharon
Thanks Sharon! Adding a pop of color is always so much fun!
Molly you are rocking this look like nobody’s business!!! Checked our Erica’s too and you both look gorgeous AND so confident. Love it!! There’s nothing like wearing an outfit that makes you feel super empowered.
Thanks for the love Kathryn! I’m glad you liked the two different styles. What type of outfit makes you feel the most empowered?!
Wow!! That dress is perfection on you!!! Love how you styled with pop of color handbag!!
Awww thanks Sarah! Isn’t it fun to add a pop of color?! I love all black but sometimes those outfits just need a little but extra sunshine 🙂
Absolutely gorgeous! Both you and Erica are simply the cutest! 🙂
Thanks Cara! I’m so thrilled you liked both of our looks. You’re the sweetest!
that is a STUNNING dress! I actually have a kate spade handbag in that colour too (it’s AMAZING, I get so many compliments on it)
Fit, Flatter and Feel Fabulous! Words to live by
Laura @ http://www.cookwineandthinker.com
Thanks Laura! Ahh I love this handbag and love that you have one in the same color! It is so fun and bright for summer, isn’t it!?
OMG that dress is to die for. There is no hiding anything there! 🙂 It looks absolutely amazing on you.
Thanks Heather you are so right! I have a love-hate relationship with bodycon dresses, but with confidence you can pull of ANYTHING!
You look lovely! And I agree, wear what you love and that is half the battle it seems 🙂
Thank you Alison! You are so right! Wearing what you love is where it starts. It’s hard to feel confident in something you don’t love. Hope you have a great weekend!
We all need one of these! You look great in this inner confidence look!
We all do for SURE! Hope you have a LBD that you love! Thank you!
I love reading your post and your confidence boosting affirmations.
This is a stunning lbd and I love that bag!
Thank you, Julia! I’ve been feeling a little extra in need of these affirmations this week so I’m glad you loved them too! Keep smiling!
That dress looks gorgeous on you! I love the purse, too!
Thanks Jamie! The purse seemed so fitting for a little black dress!
You both look AMAZING! I’ve never really thought about what outfit makes me feel the most confident. Hmm lately I’ve been really into leather shorts, a silk tank top, and my Valentino heels. That outfit makes me feel awesome so maybe that’s it?! I’ll have to think about it! Great post, babe, definitely makes me think!
Thank you so much! Oh my gosh, I so want to wear that look – leather shorts and a silk tank top?! You are my style idol! I bet it looks amazing on you!
love it!! Such great advice..when you feel good about the way you look, confidence always shines through!
What an amazing way to put it! Confidence does indeed shine through when we feel good! Keep smiling!
Everything on you looks amazing! That purse is so cute though.
Thanks Marissa! The purse was just the icing on the cake! The LBD is what it’s all about for me!
Love those confidence boosting affirmations! Definitely going to be using those next time I need a little boost. 🙂
Thank you Jen! I need to record myself saying these affirmations or something because I’ve definitely been needing the extra boost lately! Hope you’re having a great weekend!
OH my goodness – YES! That dress is killer on you, Molly! xoxo
OMG thank you sweet friend! I know you would rock a LBD like this! Hope you’re weekend is off to a great start!